Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wild Man Takes a Fall

Brian and I were excited. We were off to the river with our friends the Wrens and the Samuels. It had been a long week of sick kids and Brian traveling...so when it was time to leave we ran out the door and decided to stop at Target for a few river essentials (cough beer and snacks cough). Just as we were heading to the checkout line with our full cart, I got a phone call from my mom. It's a bit fuzzy now but I know she was frantic, I know she was crying, I know Jensen was screaming in the background, and I know she said something about Jensen falling from his playhouse directly onto his head on the wood floor. The cart of river essentials was left in the middle of an aisle and we sped home while trying (in vain) to reach the pediatrician and trying (successfully) to reach my (paramedic) brother and ask him to meet us at the house.

When we got there, Jensen had pretty much stopped crying but was not really responding to us. We could not get him to talk to or really acknowledge us at all. Todd did some of his paramedic tests and concluded that Jensen was probably fine, but that he would feel better if we got him checked out at the hospital, just to be safe. Brian and I headed to Cook's with Jensen in the back seat...all the while me trying to get him to talk and failing miserably.  We kept getting more and more scared and Brian kept driving faster and faster...until we passed a train and Jensen seemed to snap out of his trance and said, "Thomas! Percy!". (Thank you, Thomas the Train!)

When we got to Cook's the wonderful staff not only didn't laugh at the crying first-time mom, but they took us right back and a paramedic blew bubbles for Jensen while a nurse took all his vitals. Once we were put into a room and Jensen was changed into the same little robe he wore for his ear tube surgery, he perked up quite a bit. In fact, by the time the doctor came in the room, he was pretty much running amok in the room and looking not at all like a little dude who needed to be at the hospital!

"Isn't this way more fun than going to the river with your friends, Mom?"

To make a long story a bit shorter, they kept him for awhile to make sure he was okay, then released us to go home. Brian and I debated staying home but, knowing Jensen was in perfectly capable hands, we ended up joining our friends at the river and having a great time. We returned home on Sunday to a perfectly fine little dude, except for some slight evidence of his little spill:


His first black eye! My poor little dude. One of our biggest parenting scares to date...although I'm guessing this wild man has a few more tumbles and spills in his future!

4 comments:

  1. I know how scary that must have been. I think the part that freaks me out the worst is the phone call with grandma upset and a screaming baby in the background. Uggg- that is the worst!! Glad he is okay and that you had a fun river trip. I'm jealous!!! (of the trip, not your hospital visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting to hear what happened since your facebook post so thanks for the update! Glad to hear he is ok and since I am the worst mom ever when presented with accidents I totally understand. Your mind pretty much goes to the worst case scenario:). Sad we missed the river trip...sounds like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad he is OK! I can only imagine all the scrapes and falls all of us mother's have in store with boys. Oh, and I am still jealous of his fabulous eyelashes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygoodness! I'm so glad he's okay and you still got to enjoy an "adult" weekend!

    ReplyDelete