Monday, March 23, 2009

Tales from Triage

My family has a semi-regular tradition of having Sunday dinners together at my parents' house. These dinners usually consist of a huge buffet of different types of food that don't in any way go with each other, but are delicious nonetheless. Last night, my dad made Chinese stir-fry with chicken, Todd made beef and chicken fajitas, and Brian and I contributed macaroni and cheese from Oliver's in Mansfield (soooo good!). It was quite the spread, and as usual, my dad and brother did almost all the cooking, we all did lots of eating, and my mom and I did the cleaning.

So our Sunday dinner was routine, but the dinner table conversation was anything but. Todd is currently finishing up the EMT portion of training for the Dallas Fire Academy and yesterday he worked his first shift in triage of a local hospital. He told us about all the stuff he saw yesterday, including a patient moaning in agony over a pulled muscle, a patient laughing off a stab wound to the chest, a couple of psychiatric cases, and a few diseases of the, um, sexually transmitted variety. I think I would have probably made it about half an hour in that hospital before needing medical attention myself, but Todd actually really enjoyed it. It's so strange to think of your little brother being exposed to all that crazy stuff--but he has always been the one who is calm and collected during any kind of medical emergency, so I know that he will be a great EMT/Paramedic and I'm proud of him already.

And speaking of crazy things for your little brother to be exposed to...today he's working the 3 to 11 shift in Labor & Delivery! I can't wait to hear how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment