Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Before We Have Kids..."

I think lots of people have a list of goals they want to accomplish/places they want to visit/things they want to do/etc. before they add a baby to their lives. Sort of like a much less-morbid version of a "bucket list," I suppose. My list was short...really short. In fact, it consisted of one (admittedly superficial) thing and one thing only: visit Greece. I actually tore a picture of Santorini out of a magazine and kept it up on my refrigerator for awhile so I could keep my eyes on the prize! Happily, we visited Greece this summer, so the lone item on my pre-baby "bucket list" gets a big fat check mark.

But, we also have a little list going of things we want to do to the house before the babies arrive. Our house was built in 1994, which doesn't exactly make it a historical landmark or anything, but it has needed quite a bit of updating. We've been doing the updates slowly since we moved in almost three years ago, and last week we were able to put a check mark next to the "re-tile guest bathrooms" item on our list. I'm really happy with how it all turned out.


Before: The white tile and forest green accents were all the rage in 1994!



Before: It's hard to tell, but this is nasty laminate flooring.



After: New tile!




After: New shower tile and an accent border Brian picked out all by himself! We did both the downstairs bath and upstairs bath in the same materials.


It's kind of funny when you think about the fact that we remodeled what will be the babies' bathroom...as if the babies would turn up their little noses if they were given a bath in a tub tiled in colors from 1994! But I have reasoned with myself that we are going to be spending a lot more time at home than we have in the past, so it might as well look good, right? Next up on our list...painting the nursery, followed by new carpet!

2 comments: