Monday, June 3, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!


Mother's Day weekend was crazy-busy, as is par for the course when you're trying to fit in celebrations with moms from two families (not a bad problem to have, though!). On Saturday, Jensen and I hit up a first birthday party for my friend Rhiannon's twins, Meghan and Sam. Poor Charlotte had to stay home and nap because we had family pics later that afternoon and I wanted her as well-rested as possible. Jensen had a wonderful time in the bounce house...some would say a bit too wonderful of a time, as at one point I looked in and he had removed his pants. I suppose jeans are a bit constrictive when trying to partake in bounce house fun. Lesson learned!

Me and J, Rhiannon and Meghan, and Lacey and Connor.

Having a blast. This must have been pre-pants removal.
Jensen and I left the party and rushed home to change and get pretty for Shelton family pictures. We had the pictures taken in Brian's parent's backyard, and considering the fact that there were seven children under the age of seven, I think they turned out pretty well. In some of them, almost everyone is smiling...with the exception of our little Charlotte. Apparently she did not get quite enough beauty sleep.

(I brought up the pictures on the online gallery and took pics of them with my phone. We have the CD ordered so hopefully I'll get around to posting the real pictures, but in the meantime these grainy pics can be placeholders.)

Enlarge to get the full effect of Charlotte's expression of agony. This is a fairly accurate representation of Charlotte's feelings about picture day. I wish I could say it was just because she was tired, but honestly, this is her attitude about most things these days. Terrible threes, I hate you!
The whole gang. I really love the way all the colors turned out.
Family pic with our two over-it kids.
When the picture-taking fun was over, we hung out for a bit before taking the kids home and putting them to bed. I then treated myself to a little Mother's Day outing and went to meet my friends from my MoM's group at Joe T's. We didn't have a sitter so Brian stayed home and I was the single lady among married couples. No big deal though...I always have so much fun with these ladies. I'm so happy to have met so many great friends in my multiples group!


Early the next morning, my mom came over so we could exchange gifts. Earlier in the week, she took Charlotte and Jensen on a "secret mystery trip" to make mommy something for Mother's Day. Also earlier in the week, the following conversation took place:

Charlotte [yelling]: Mommy, for Mother's Day I made you a pink cow!
Grandma: Charlotte, shhhh! That's supposed to be a secret!
Charlotte: Oh. [then begins whispering]. Mommy I made you a pink cow!

So on Mother's Day morning, I found that she did indeed make me a pink cow.


Jensen chose to make me a blue airplane, and fortunately my mom decided to have them make something with a bit more meaning...their sweet little handprints. :) I'm so fortunate to have a mom who takes my kids to do fun things like this.

After the gift opening, we headed to Brian's parents for playtime, presents and lunch. At nap time we went home to let the kids rest for a bit before our next outing: an early dinner at Uncle Julio's with my family. I was afraid the kids would melt down from exhaustion, but they were really good and we had a fun time...I have decided, though, that I think I'm going to vote that we stay in next year. Everywhere is SO packed, and even though we ate at like 5:00, the restaurant was already out of a few menu items. I think it'd be way more relaxing to cook a nice dinner at home!

My mom. As you probably know, she is nothing short of amazing.

You'd think the Mother's Day fun ended there, but no...this year Mother's Day weekend was the gift that kept on giving, as we picked up a stomach bug from one of our nieces and spent the entire next week switching off being sick. So lovely. Charlotte's symptoms were so odd that I wound up taking her in to our pediatrician, who was afraid she might have appendicitis and had us go to Cook's for an ultrasound. Fortunately there was no appendicitis, but unfortunately, I came down with the stomach bug while lying on the ultrasound table with Charlotte. Again, so lovely...the glamorous life of a mom!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness- you guys have had your fair share of trips to Cook Childrens! Geez! I will say this...Addyson was always so sick her first 5 years of life- always at the Dr. with something. She did not miss one day of Kindergarten this year for being sick! So, hopefully you put your time in now and she will be good to go once school starts!

    LOVE the colors you picked for your pictures- they turned out beautiful!! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete