Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Update :)

We had a really good appointment today...although it started out a bit rocky. My doctor works out of three offices: Mansfield, Arlington and Grand Prairie. We usually go to the Mansfield office, but since they have had to squeeze me in for all of these appointments, we have just been going wherever they can fit us in. So Brian was supposed to meet me at the Arlington office at 11:30 this morning for the first appointment...can you see where this is going? Yes, he first went to the Mansfield office and wound up being about 30 minutes late, by which time they had already started my sonogram.

Now, this would not have been a big deal, except that the tech was moving the wand all around and not saying much. Finally she asked if I had eaten anything that day. I said, "Yes, why?" and she replied that neither of the babies was breathing. I think my heart stopped and I couldn't talk or even think for a second. Finally I said "Neither baby is BREATHING??" and she proceeded to explain that babies should be taking "practice breaths" but that it was okay if they didn't do it constantly. So she poked around for a bit and they woke up and began their practice breathing. Way to freak out your mom, babies. And way to freak out your patient, ultrasound lady. Perhaps the twins are just lazy from all the bed rest, but they eventually were moving all around and practice-breathing away. But it was quite the scare, and by the time Brian got there all that was left to do was try to get some cute little 3D pics, so I was all alone for the scary stuff and it sucked.

But, the rest of the appointment went even better than we'd hoped! I haven't gained any weight, there was no protein in my urine, and my blood pressure actually went down. So, we had been hoping for everything to stay the same, and instead, we actually saw some improvements! My doctor was pleasantly surprised that the bed rest is working so well and said that we might very well be able to delay the babies being born for longer than we had originally thought. We feel extremely thrilled and blessed by this news and are just going to continue taking it one day at a time...and I am still confined to my bed, but if it's working, I can't complain. I am so thankful to have gotten so many emails, phone calls, and texts over the past few days and I can't say how much we appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. My next appointment is Monday so I will hopefully have another good progress report then!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! Great to hear a good report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG- love it when sono people say things like that!! I would have freaked out too!! Good news on the BP though- that's a good sign! Enjoy your down time while you can (I hated it when people told me that b/c grass is always greener on the other side!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't there a better way the sonogram broad could have phrased that? thats scary

    ReplyDelete