Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vegas, Baby(less)!

Brian and I returned last night from two days in Vegas. Also known as Sin City. Also known as the place we got married almost seven years ago. And, from here on out, it will also be known as the place where we took our first trip together, away from Charlotte and Jensen. Granted, it was Brian's annual work trip, and we were very much not alone, but a trip to Vegas is a trip to Vegas, yes?

We left on Monday morning, and I managed to get myself out the door with no tears. Okay, that's a lie. There were tears. But they didn't actually fall out of my eyes, so I don't count that as crying. Charlotte and Jensen stayed home with our part-time night nanny, Amy, who is a wonderful combination of competent and confident with babies. So I had no worries about their well-being. I had worries about my well-being. But once we got on the road to the airport, I did really well. We got to Vegas, got all checked in to our room, and then I may or may not have spent the better part of the afternoon downloading and figuring out an iPhone app that would let Amy use her iPhone to track everything the babies were doing, after which I could check the app and see what they were up to. For example, you know how the instant your plane touches down, every single passenger turns on a cell phone? People start checking their messages, sending texts, calling their rides to tell them their plane has landed, etc. Well, I turned on my phone when we landed at DFW yesterday, promptly checked my BabyConnect app, and excitedly told Brian that both babies had pooped while we were mid-flight! Exciting stuff, people! 

We had a great dinner at StripSteak Monday night, despite the fact that I almost fell asleep about eight times throughout the course of the meal (Daylight Saving Time + Vegas being two hours behind home + Charlotte deciding she would go ahead and see us off in style by staying up half the night on Sunday = sleepy Marcy). On Tuesday, Brian had to work so I headed to the spa. Afterward, in a semi-comatose state of bliss, I headed up to the room to get ready. And get ready I did, in my death-defying new shoes:






I know nothing about what's in style these days...but I do know that sparkles and high heels probably make a shoe perfect for Vegas! When I showed them to Brian, he eyed them suspiciously and said, "Are you going to be able to walk in those?" Then, to make matters worse, I got the following text from my mom while in Vegas (and I am quoting her exact text here):

Hi honey. Having fun? I worry about you walking in those shoes.

I think it's safe to say that my klutziness is legendary in our family. Oh well. We were hanging out before dinner when I realized we had been in Vegas for over 24 hours and had yet to gamble a penny. Even though we aren't big gamblers, this was a new low...so I headed out to the slots where I promptly remembered why I'm not a big gambler. Anyways, after another great dinner (this time at Red Square) we headed to bed to get ready for our early flight back home in the morning. But first, I had to take a picture:
And here's the reason why I had to take that picture:


Yes, that's me in the same spot last year...at 14 weeks pregnant with the twins! It is hilarious to look at this picture, because at the time I thought I looked so huge, and looking back, you can hardly even tell that I was pregnant. 

We were thrilled to get home and see Charlotte and Jensen...we missed them a ton. And today was absolute perfection...I spent the day at home, just Charlotte, Jensen and me. But the trip was fun...I lost $72, but I got asked if I was over 21 twice. And no, I didn't fall in my shoes! That's what I'd call a success.

1 comment:

  1. I knew you would not be able to leave them for two days and "let go"..you are such a "mommy"
    The shoes are hot...dare you to wear them to the library while pushing the stroller (well you would have something to hang on to when you fall down)

    ReplyDelete