Monday, October 19, 2009

One of These Things Is Not Like the Others

Last week I did an unusual transport. It involved going to the town of Thurber, Texas (pop. 5) and meeting another volunteer who lives in Abilene who had pulled two dogs from the Abilene animal shelter. This girl is awesome and regularly pulls dogs from the shelter for us and meets a volunteer somewhere along I-20 so that one of us doesn't have to drive all the way to Abilene (which I have done in the past--three very stinky dogs in my car on the way home was not fun). The transport went off without a hitch and I even talked my mom into riding with me so that I would not be so bored in the car.

The unusual part of the transport was that instead of two golden retrievers, my passengers were one golden and one dalmatian. The girl who pulls the dogs for us had also been in contact with a DFW area dalmatian rescue group who agreed to take the dog if we could find a way to get it to Fort Worth...so I agreed to help (hey, what's one more dog in my car?). The golden (named Talon) was a bit clingy and kept trying to climb into the front seat. As I drove, my mom channeled her inner 5-year-old and kept repeating, "Can't he please just come sit in the front with me?" until I gave in and allowed Talon to ride up front with her.


Once allowed in the front seat, Talon was content and fell asleep. And check out my mom texting!


The sweet dalmatian, Daisy. She was dumped at the shelter by her family and was obviously scared but she was a great passenger and I'm glad she's on her way to a new family!


No comments:

Post a Comment