Thursday, October 29, 2009

PICNIC!

Last Saturday was the picnic that the rescue group puts on every year in October. A couple hundred goldens and their families enjoyed a great time at Lake Grapevine...the weather was beautiful, which was an awesome stroke of luck since it has been so disgusting outside for most of the past few weeks. There was barbecue, a silent auction, a raffle, a doggie bandana contest, and a foster parade. The organizers of the picnic always do such a great job and the event always helps earn much-needed money for the rescue group.


One of my favorite parts of the picnic every year is that I get the chance to see some of my former foster dogs with their 'forever families.' This year was no exception: I got to see one of my very favorite fosters, Samuel, with his wonderful new family. Samuel was very sick with heartworms and it took him a while to recover. He is now one of the most athletic dogs at the picnic--he barely stopped running around long enough to say hello to me--but I'll forgive him for that. I also got to see a former foster named Huckleberry. I fostered Huck for a couple of weeks when he was only a few months old. He is now a beautiful 93 pound golden. Here he is enjoying himself on Saturday:

We did have one minor picnic mishap...which was unfortunately not discovered until Monday. For a while now, I have been trying my darndest to convince Brian that I REALLY need a nice new Audi Q7 to replace my current ride. I always get shot down, with the primary reason being that all the (often dirty, stinky) dogs I chauffeur around town have trashed my current car and will certainly trash the nice new car as well. I suppose this is probably true, but I keep persisting nonetheless. But, my parents' dog Jasmine did not do much to help my case when she PEED on the floorboard of the backseat of my car on the way home from the picnic. Unfortunately, all four of us who were in the car on Saturday failed to notice this little incident and, even more unfortunately, I did not drive my car again until Monday, when the smell was nice and set in. Long story short, the car wash did not quite do the trick, the car still smells a bit rank, and Brian is more insistent than ever that I will be driving my current dog-mobile for many years to come. Thanks for nothing, Jasmine!

1 comment: