Saturday, February 13, 2010

Maternity Clothes Fun!

My shopping trips used to go a little like this: Drive to mall. Walk into mall. Go to a couple of stores and try on clothes that look cute on the hanger. Buy whatever clothes actually look cute on me and not just the hanger. Drive home. Done and done!

But shopping for maternity clothes is much more exciting and goes a little like this: Drive to mall against mom's warnings that if I go in the mall, I will surely catch the swine flu. Park car while lamenting the fact that I don't get a handicapped parking pass. Walk into mall and past the places I used to shop, all the while trying to avoid looking at the mannequins wearing cute clothes that I will probably not fit into for quite some time.  Enter the mall's one maternity store and spend what seems like forever letting an overzealous salesperson help me try on clothes that are a) not really all that stylish,  b) only going to be worn for a few months, and c) waaaaay overpriced. Try to convince overzealous salesperson that I DO NOT need a size small shirt as I am pregnant with twins and only going to grow exponentially in the upcoming weeks. (I have come to the conclusion that this is a scam, as it has happened every time I have shopped for maternity clothes. They try to convince you to get a smaller size than you need so that you will soon outgrow whatever you buy and thus come back to buy more, bigger clothes. I'm on to you people!) Pay too much for a few long sleeved t-shirts (because that's really all I wear these days) in a size larger than the salesperson recommends. Drive home while calling mom to tell her that I am leaving the mall and have yet to experience any flu-like symptoms. Fun times!

Anyways, I was recently excited to hear that Heidi Klum was going to be coming out with two lines of maternity wear. Heidi Klum is fashionable, gorgeous, and (seeing as how she just had her fourth kiddo) knows a thing or two about being pregnant. I was perusing her new line called Lavish that she has out at A Pea in the Pod and while I found some cute stuff like this...

 

And this...


 


I also found some pieces that were a bit more questionable and that I felt I must share with you...



I fully admit that even when not pregnant, I am not the most cutting-edge, trendy person. But the above item is a maternity unitard. Talk about two words that just don't go together: Maternity UNITARD. Now, there is one pic on the website that shows the model wearing an open cardigan over the unitard (I am going to see how many times I can say "unitard." It's fun.) but in the other pics she is wearing the unitard all by its little self. And see how she has it all dressed up with the necklaces and four-inch heels? Oh, and I almost forgot: the unitard can be yours for a mere $95.00!

Onto our next item...

Maternity leather leggings! I really don't have a problem with these...the right person (i.e., not me) could definitely pull them off. And apparently Heidi agrees with me that they should not be worn by just anyone, because they only come in sizes small and medium...fatties need not apply! But just look at the back view:

 

She looks a little, um, squished into those leggings. And she is a model. I can't imagine how they would look on an average (size small or medium, of course) person. AND I can't imagine that they are at all comfortable. Aaaaannnnddd the best part? They can be yours for the bargain price of $550.00! Do you think I can add them to my baby registry?? :)

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I wore these t-shirts from target that are xhilaration brand and actually are sleep shirts called tissue tees- search for them at target.com. they are soooo soft and longer than most shirts and i wore them through my whole pregnancy- and still wear them now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh out loud! I agree completely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing at this now that this is my reality. I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend most of my pregnancy in the same black Target tank, a colorful cardigan, and a scarf so nobody notices I've worn the same tank 5 days in a row.

    Although I'd totally rock that unitard. At a certain point, you might as well go big or go home, right?

    ReplyDelete