Thursday, May 31, 2012

Last Day of School!

Charlotte and Jensen had their last day of preschool last week. It seriously seems like just yesterday that I was dropping them off for the first time, fighting back my own tears as I left a teary-eyed Charlotte (and happy-go-lucky Jensen) in a strange new place. On the last day of school, the kiddos marched right in, happy to see Mrs. Clark and their friends Hunter and Lane, oblivious to the fact that this would be their last day in the Mrs. Clark's class.

Before school, I asked Charlotte and Jensen to sit on the porch and smile so Mommy could take some pictures of them. When they did exactly what I asked, I realized just how much they'd grown and changed since they started school last August!







I was the room mom this year, so I was in charge of the end-of-year gift for Mrs. Clark (the other two moms and I became friends and always went in together on gifts). We intended to get her a museum membership for her and her daughter, but I didn't want to mess anything up with the paperwork so I just gave her the cash to get it herself! To make up for that, I wrote her a little poem about the year and put it in a frame along with a small vase of four flowers to represent each child in the class.


I spent the last day of preschool...actually I don't even remember what I did! I do remember that I met Brian for lunch; we knew it would be our last chance to have a lunch date until next school year. When I picked Charlotte and Jensen up from school, they were happy to see me.




(Charlotte was always way happier to see me than Jensen. I attribute this to the fact that they had always just woken up from naps and Jensen takes a good half-hour to be fully awake and not comatose.) We got some goodbye hugs from Mrs. Clark and then the other moms and I took the kids to get frozen yogurt.








While Jensen only had eyes for his fro-yo, Charlotte had quite the time running around (and doing a bit of flirting) with Hunter and Lane. Fortunately we had the place to ourselves (except the teenage boy working there, who kept retreating to the back room to escape the crazed toddlers).

I can't say enough about how great this school year was. Charlotte and Jensen made friends and learned how to be part of a class. I made friends with a few of the other moms and enjoyed being able to run errands sans-toddlers. The last day of school was rough for me; not only because we will miss Mrs. Clark so much, but because it truly hit me how fast the year went and made me realize how fast the years will continue to go. Terrifyingly fast. I wish I could hit pause and enjoy these days for just a little while longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment