Saturday, June 2, 2012

Well-Child Checkup (aka Unwell-Parent Checkup)

We had Charlotte and Jensen's two-year-old well-child checkup last week (we are about a month behind in our checkups...not sure when that happened, but it did!). Charlotte, being the perceptive little gal that she is, has begun a new thing where she starts screaming the moment we pull into the pediatrician's parking lot. I am so fortunate that Brian is able to take off work and come with me to these well-child checkups because I'm not quite sure what I would do if I had to wrangle an apprehensive Jensen and a screaming Charlotte all by myself!

Anyways, Charlotte began crying in the parking lot. Brian took Jensen inside and signed us in while I tried to talk Charlotte down...no luck. She kept crying and eventually I gave up trying to reason with her and we went inside to join the boys. While in the waiting room, she kept screaming and crying and trying to run out of the doctor's office. All my efforts to distract her failed (and they were not helped by the other mom in the waiting room who kept asking, "Why is she so upset? Why doesn't she like the doctor?" and so on and so on. I don't know, lady! Leave me alone!). Anywho, the kids were examined by the doctor. Charlotte is still tall and slim, hanging out in around the 20th % for weight and 85th % for height. Jensen is in the 50th % for weight and...we aren't really sure about height. He chose the height-measuring part of the appointment to flip out, so they said he didn't really grow much since his last appointment, but I have a hard time believing they got an accurate measurement. As the doctor examined Charlotte, I tried convincing her that little Charlotte really is a happy girl most of the time...but I doubt the doc heard me over all the screaming. Charlie really did scream from the minute we hit the parking lot until the doctor left the room. Funny thing is, as soon as the doctor left the room Charlotte started singing and dancing, happy as a clam.

Anyways...all that to say, they are healthy, and we are thankful. And we need a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment