Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lucky #7

Seven years ago today, I woke up a newlywed. I lounged in a fluffy bathrobe, ordered room service and drank bloody marys and champagne. I felt peaceful...the kind of peaceful that comes when you know you've made a good decision.


Apparently, seven years was quite a long time ago in terms of digital photography...we got good, old-fashioned negatives and prints of our wedding pictures.  And yes, we got married in Vegas. Yes, it was planned. No, I was not drunk or pregnant. And no, Elvis was not invited.

This morning, I woke up a mommy. I drank coffee and Emergen-C. Brian and I didn't exchange gifts for our anniversary, but there has actually been quite a bit of giving going on around here these days: Someone gave Charlotte a cold. Charlotte, in turn, gave the cold to her brother. Jensen's cold turned into an ear infection (his first), so yesterday our doctor gave him a prescription for some gooey pink antibiotics that he absolutely despises...but that I have to give him every morning and night. Next, Jensen gave the cold to Brian. Somehow, nobody has (as of yet) given the cold to me...I have no idea how I've escaped it thus far but I can't help but think I can't avoid it forever.

Seven years ago, Brian and I became a family. This year, we completed our family. Having a baby (or babies) changes a relationship...no matter how well you know your husband, you see him in a whole new light once he becomes a dad. I never had a single doubt as to what kind of dad Brian would be. I knew he would change poopy diapers and help clean bottles and get up early (and even in the middle of the night) to feed babies. More importantly, I also knew he would love our children with all that he has...and he does. But I didn't know how tiny Charlotte would look in her daddy's arms, or how adoringly she would look at him. And I didn't know what it would be like to watch Jensen's eyes light up and a huge smile take over his face the minute he sees his daddy walk through the door.

I knew life wouldn't be champagne and room service every day...and it's not. It's runny noses and teething and laundry. But it's also fun and laughter and, most of all, love. I am grateful every day that Brian chose to spend his life with me, and especially for the two new lives we created together.

5 comments:

  1. Marcy- I saw your blog link on your facebook - so fun. I enjoyed reading this post three days before my wedding - congrats on seven years of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was a tear jerker...You didn't need to give Brian a gift..this was it!..pure and simple (it was free too).
    I had never seen the wedding pic before, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me cry! Happy anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary- such a fun wedding 7 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete