Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Survived.

Friday was a momentous occasion...Charlotte and Jensen (and I) attended our first play group! I know that most babies have already attended a play group by the time they're nine months old, but what can I say? I guess we're just homebodies! Anyways, a member of my multiples group volunteered to host a play group at her house in Fort Worth, and I was very excited to attend.

Okay, that was a lie. A whopper, actually. Because I was not excited. I was nervous...as in, about-to-crap-my-pants nervous. All week long I was chock full of worries about this play group. First, I worried about the kids. I had visions of Jensen practicing his open-field tackles on unsuspecting babies while Charlotte hung out in the corner by herself examining the carpet fibers and shrieking if anyone came near her. Then, I calmed myself down about the kids. They would be fine...they always are. So with that worry out of the way, a much more, well, worrisome worry began to consume me and one specific word kept making its way into my brain.

Inept.

What if I was the only mom there who didn't know what she was doing? What if everyone else made having twins look downright easy while I fumbled around like an idiot? What if they all knew all kinds of twin-raising secrets that I don't know? What if, compared to all the other moms, I was totally inept?

Long story short, I wasn't. I discovered that us twin parents are all pretty much in the same boat. We did have a great time at the play group...four moms, one dad, ten babies (that's five sets of twins for you non-math majors). Yes, it was mass chaos. Here are a few pics:

Charlotte and Jensen (in the front) with their new friends.

Little Charlotte playing with the big boys (Jackson and Wyatt).
We decided (at the very end of the play group) to take a group picture of all the babies. Roughly half of them were not happy about it.


Anyways, we all survived play group. Of course, not without a few mishaps: First, I left one of the minivan's sliding doors open the entire time I was there...with the keys right inside. Not that unusual for me these days. Second, Jensen did tackle one other baby...fortunately it was a boy who was bigger than him as opposed to a smaller baby! Third, Charlotte had a couple of her signature meltdowns (but so did pretty much every other baby there, so no biggie). And remember how I was about to crap my pants from nervousness? Well, apparently Jensen was nervous too...because he did crap his pants on our drive to Fort Worth, so we arrived at play group with one very stinky boy who needed to be changed! One of the funniest parts of going to the play group was how Charlotte and Jensen acted when they got home. They crawled back and forth through the living room just grinning at each other like they were so happy to be in their own space. They were also exhausted...they didn't really act like themselves for 24 hours or so...Brian called it their "playdate hangover."

In other weekend news, I spent Saturday having a much-needed girls day/night out! Cristi, Kristen, Michelle and I headed to Dallas where we brunched, got manis/pedis, shopped, and finally had dinner and spent the night at Hotel ZaZa. How girly can you get?? I was thinking I would only join the girls for part of the festivities, but my wonderful husband insisted that I needed to get out for awhile, so he (and my mom and Auntie Tammy) were on baby patrol. I was so happy to see my little stinkers this morning, but they were in great hands while I enjoyed myself with the girls. I was a very bad picture-taker, but here are some hotel pics:

Kristen livin' large in our room.

Turn-down service included this little note and a candy bar on each bed!

We capped off our weekend with a lazy Sunday followed by dinner at my parents' house. My brother, aka The Diet Saboteur, cooked up yet another delicious feast:

I requested this salmon again.

Three different flavors of buffalo wings and two different flavors of fried shrimp (all made in his deep fryer).

So I will be going to bed tonight happy...and very full! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed the lovely weather before our next "Arctic Blast" arrives!

2 comments:

  1. You always provide me with a LOL moment Marcy..this one was about the pant crapping (I guess I'm just immature) Going to google zaza and see what thats all about. Loved the playdate..you guys need to do this more often..looks like a lot of fun and a way to "share" info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. I see. Payback for me trying to capture a pic of you with your chair massage remote and iPhone...I get it. Watch yourself Mrs. Shelton.

    :)

    ReplyDelete