Monday, April 5, 2010

Names and Nursery

I hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend...we actually had an enjoyable few days. On Friday I had lots of visitors...my friend Renee is in town from New York so she and her mom brought me lunch, and then on Friday evening Brian and I had a great visit with Whitney and Chad. They brought us dinner, helped us figure out our huge double stroller, and we talked all about their experience delivering their twins via c-section. It's so nice to have someone who's been there and done that and is willing to share all the good and bad (I like to be fully prepared!). I spent Saturday resting up because on Sunday I knew I was going to break the rules a bit and go to my parents' house to enjoy Easter brunch. We only stayed for a few hours before I was worn out and ready to return to my bed. It's crazy, but I can actually feel myself "puffing up" when I am out of bed for too long, which I guess is further proof that the dreaded bed rest is quite effective.

Speaking of the dreaded bed rest, know what makes it even worse? When you're stuck in bed and it's 75 degrees outside and your friends are at the ballpark for Rangers opening day! I would guess that they're enjoying cold beer, hot dogs, and nachos as we speak...jerks! To cheer myself up a bit, I thought I'd post some pics of the nursery. I am obviously not allowed up there myself anymore, so I sent Brian to get some pics...after sending him up there no less than four times (I swear, the man does not understand the phrase "take a close-up picture") these are the best that he came up with:

The corner of the room.


A close-up of the changing table and shelves. This corner of the room has a golden retriever theme (I know, try to hide your shock!). The dog pic was made by my mother-in-law...the dog is a golden retriever made of felt and has a tag that says "Bailey" and April 23, 2003 (which is Bailey's birthday). The frames are going to have the pics that Dana took of Bailey, but I haven't gotten them developed yet. And the cute little piggy banks were a gift from Jill!


The chandelier. It's from Lee Lighting and I love it! The lighting is kind of weird in all of these pics but I think this is one shows the wall paint color the best. It's a very soft gray.

 These frames hang on either side of the windows. They are hanging from drawer pulls that I found at Anthropologie. 

The crib corner of the room. I feel like I need something else on the walls in between their names but I haven't come up with anything yet.
Speaking of names...we finally decided! Well, the boy name was easy since we decided on it long before we even started trying to have a baby: Jensen Todd Shelton. Jensen is a name we just liked and Todd is my brother's name. The girl name was much more challenging...naming babies is hard work! I like a lot of girl names and we kept going back and forth, but we finally decided on Charlotte Anne. We love the name Charlotte and we also like that it has some cute nicknames (Charlie, for example--I'm a big fan of boy names for girls; I just think it's really cute). Her middle name, Anne, is actually both of Brian's sisters' middle names so we knew we wanted to use it.

So...here is Jensen's side of the room:

The name is a wall decal from etsy that I think turned out awesome. The name itself is in a dark brown that matches the furniture nicely. Side note: the ugly white plastic arms of the mobiles are driving me crazy but I hear they make covers for them, so I am going to look for a brown one.

Jensen's bedding (the best shot Brian got of it, anyways!). It has green, blue, brown, white and gray.

We couldn't find any bedding sets that we liked that we felt like would work for a boy and a girl...so we went fabric shopping and my very craft mother-in-law made the bedding for us. The bumpers and crib skirts are different, but the sheets match so it ties the two together a bit.

And here is Charlotte's lair:

Her wall decal and ugly white mobile arm.

Charlotte's crib bedding. Hers is mostly blues and browns but the pattern is more feminine than the fabric on Jensen's.

Soooo...there you have it! I still feel like there are a couple of things that need to be done in order for the room to be really, truly finished, but I don't know that anything else is going to get done at this point, so this very well may be the finished product. I think it's a really calm, soothing room and I hope the babies love it!



6 comments:

  1. The twins' nursery is A-mazing! You and Brian have done a wonderful job! It looks just perfect for both a boy and a girl (and soothing for Mom and Dad too!). I also love, love their names-they are both unique and classic at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for baby names! I'm glad you're feeling well and in good spirits. Send Brian upstairs to take some measurements, and I'm sure I could make you some mobile covers. The nursery looks adorable, and I'm sure they'll love it! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcy- I LOVE the nursery!! It is so beautiful!! And I absolutely love the names! Cannot wait to meet those sweet babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nursery looks great. The babies will love it! I love the names, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was here to offer to make you some mobile covers too (it's probably already been done)..you could use some left over fabric from the crib stuff. I assume its just a tube thing thats is scrunched??

    ReplyDelete