Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Engaged & Confused

About a month ago, the necklace I gave my mom last Mother's Day broke. She was getting ready to go get it fixed when she mentioned that I really should check the prongs on my engagement ring every now and then to make sure they weren't loose. I absentmindedly handed her my ring and she checked it out only to find one of the prongs completely missing. Further inspection by a jeweler showed that not only did I break a prong, I also chipped the corner of the diamond itself. Oopsie. The scary part is that I have no recollection of how I did any of this. Apparently whoever said diamonds are forever, indestructible, etc. never met a klutz of my caliber!

Since my ring was (fortunately) insured against loss and damage, we are now faced with some choices: Repair the stone (in other words, cut it down and make it smaller) and re-set it? Get a new diamond but keep a similar setting? Get a new style of ring altogether? I keep going back and forth on what to do. One one hand, the sharp corners and high setting of my old ring probably aren't the most practical thing for someone like me who is obviously not always careful...who's to say I won't just damage it again? And do I really want to make my diamond smaller? But on the other hand, that's my diamond. The thought of some other chick wearing it does not make me very happy. But on another hand (can I have three hands for this story?) I do love ring shopping. I am not a big jewelry person at all, but engagement rings are a different story...I love them. I love how everyone's ring is reflective of their own taste and style. And engagements make me so happy: I love what that ring represents.

When Brian and I got engaged, we never went ring shopping together. I dropped lots of hints about what I liked, but he took it from there...this time is a bit different. I am kind of in charge of choosing exactly what I want to do...and I must say, it's a bit stressful. I have looked at so many rings online that they are all kind of starting to look the same. But I'm kind of starting to lean in this direction:


Because nothing says "forever" like something heart-shaped and hot pink!

4 comments:

  1. I went through a similiar situation. My stone was chipped on the end, but it is soo small that is is not noticable so I opted to have a stronger head put on my setting. I had 18k and went down to 14k because it is apparently stronger. I felt the same way. I do not like the fact of having a different stone, this is MY RING! and ...tell me more about your "forever" choice..LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't think of a better ring that screams "Marcy" at me! Definitely shows your style and taste. He He! Well, good luck with making a decision. You know I always loved your ring so I'm sure it's going to be a hard one to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go different! Will and I decided when we bought our rings that if we get a hankering for something new 10-20 years down the road, it won't make us any less married. Hope you get to enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete