Friday, March 4, 2011

School Is (Almost) In Session

While talking to my friends Jennifer and Tammy last Saturday, I asked how their kiddos were enjoying the preschool they all attend...or should I say, the preschool I thought they all attend. I'd always pictured Charlotte and Jensen going to this particular school, so I was anxious to see how they were liking it. I found out that Jennifer's son Clayton does go there and loves it...but then Tammy told me that one of her kids was still on the waiting list.

Wait a sec. Back up. Hold the phone. I know I am a bit out of it these days, but did I manage to move to Manhattan or Los Angeles without realizing it? No? Then you mean to tell me that there's a waiting list...for a preschool...that's held at a church...in Mansfield? As it would turn out, yes. Jennifer informed me that registration for next fall had begun in February and I had better get a move on if Charlotte and Jensen were to have any chance at getting in. So, I spent Sunday getting over my shock, emailed the director on Monday (and found out there were still a few spots in the 12-17 month-old class), and took a tour of the school on Tuesday.

I think everyone has their own moment during which they really feel like a "grown-up." For some people, it's going off to college or living on their own for the first time. For others, it's getting their first job or getting married. I never really felt "grown-up" until I became a mom...and I have never felt more like a grown-up than I did while touring the preschool. I have no idea why...maybe it's because they were calling me "Mrs. Shelton," or maybe it's because it was the first time I realized that there are some people who are always going to know me not as "Marcy" but as "Charlotte and Jensen's Mom." Either way, I felt extremely grown-up...and sad, and nervous, and excited all at once.

And as much as I loved the school, I also love that (thanks to the fact that I had to register them so crazy-early...which, by the way, no one else seems to find as odd as I do!), I still have six months to get used to the idea of my babies in school two days per week. With tiny backpacks. And tiny lunch boxes. And tiny sleep mats. And the not-so-tiny meltdown I will certainly have when I drop them off on the first day. :(

2 comments:

  1. Addyson went there for a year and I (and she) absolutely LOVED it! It is seriously the cutest program. C & J are going to have so much fun (and so are you with all of their cute activities!). It's a great place! I wish I could send mine there but the 2:30 pickup doesn't always work for my schedule.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad they had an opening for Charlotte and Jensen! Sorry to freak you out about the waiting list :)You will love having them in school 2 days a week.

    ReplyDelete