Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Singleton Day v. 2...

...also known as "The one where the mom of twins eats a slice of humble pie." Because in my last post, I talked about how easy it was to have one kid. I should've known that would totally come back to bite me in the form of this sweet baby boy:


Yes, he is sweet, but he is a handful for sure. I hadn't anticipated having another Singleton Day so soon, but my mom figured out that yesterday would be the only day she could do it for awhile, so I dropped Charlie off with her at about 10 a.m. and Jensen and I were on our way. First stop: Costco for some necessities. Mr. Dude and I had a fine time shopping and sharing a snack of apple slices.

Next stop: The mall. We hadn't gotten Jensen fitted for shoes for awhile, so I figured a trip to Stride Rite was in order. And here's where I made my first mistake: I let my not-even-two-year-old come into the mall with me without a stroller. Partly because I don't even have a single stroller and I didn't want to mess with the double, but also partly because I thought, "Hey, we are only going to two stores. How much trouble could it be?" Well, Jensen held my hand for about the first minute and a half we were in the mall...and then he was off. At record speeds. When we made it to Stride Rite, Jensen patiently got his little feet measured and fitted for a new pair of shoes (size 7 wide...yep, those feet have grown quite a bit!). He then proceeded to tear through the store like a wild man while I tried to pay for his shoes. The best part was when he noticed a display of Sesame Street-themed shoes...I watched as he walked over to them, casually picked up three shoes (a Big Bird shoe, an Elmo shoe, and a Cookie Monster shoe) and went ahead and RAN AS FAST AS HE COULD out of the store and into the mall. Great...my little shoplifter!

Mr. Dude's new kicks.
As we made our way to the car, Jensen discovered something delightful: the escalator! I had carried him on the way down, but he insisted on standing on his own this time. And then running away from me and getting on the escalator up to the third floor. And then riding it back down again. And then...well, you get the idea. He likes escalators. I finally picked him up and carried him to the car...by the time we got there I was literally sweating, and I woke up this morning with very sore arms!

After our havoc-wreaking at the mall, we met Daddy for lunch at Jason's Deli. Lunch with Charlie was relaxing...with Jensen, not so much. He wasn't terribly-behaved, but Brian and I found ourselves retrieving a few food items from the floor and getting sprayed down with water from Jensen's straw.

After lunch, Jensen and I headed home and played outside for a bit. Whereas Charlie happily hung out in the driveway (seriously, I could have kicked back with a cold drink and my Us Weekly), Jensen repeatedly tested his limits by waiting until he thought he was being sneaky and making a break for the street. By naptime, he was exhausted and so was I!


My dude woke up from naptime with a bit of a runny nose, so we hung out inside for the rest of the afternoon. Mr. J plopped himself on my lap for some Elmo, and I enjoyed the view:

Chubby little feet are the best!


My main man. Excuse the food on his face.


Whew! Keeping up with that little guy is one exhausting job. I think having Singleton Day with Charlotte first totally caused me to think Singleton Day (and having one kiddo) would be a breeze...perhaps that's not the case! Anyhow, exhausting or not, my little guy is an absolute treasure. And with two Singleton Days under my belt, I can't wait to have even more one-on-one time with both of my stinkers.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Sounds JUST like Ben. Keeps me on my toes that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete