Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Going Bananas

Yesterday at the grocery store, I picked up some bananas to try out as Charlotte and Jensen's next food. I figured they'd be a hit with the kiddos since they taste good, and they'd be a hit with me because they are pretty darn easy to prepare...just mash 'em up and serve! I even decided to try cutting them into teeny, tiny pieces and letting Charlotte and Jensen try to feed themselves (I figured that since they put every non-edible thing they can get their hands on into their mouths anyways, they might as well try food!).

So I mashed some up and cut some up, put the babies in their highchairs, and we began to dine. Jensen took a bite and made the "I-am-a-good-little-boy-so-why-are-you-torturing-me-with-this-horrible-food" face. Charlotte took a bite and made a similar face. Then, she took another bite and gagged. And then projectile vomited. Not as in spit-up, as in the entire contents of her stomach all over herself, the highchair, etc. Fortunately my mom was there (because, obviously, watching the babies try to feed themselves for the first time is not an event she is likely to miss) so we grabbed Charlotte out of her chair and my mom took her to clean her up while I frantically dialed the pediatrician's office. My mom tried to reason with me that she had probably just gagged on a piece of banana, but I was afraid she was having some kind of deathly allergic reaction.

Not surprisingly, the nurse at the doctor's office agreed with my mom and since little Charlotte seemed to be perfectly fine, we didn't have to do anything besides watch her the rest of the night. (And clean up a huge mess.) And we also aren't supposed to feed her bananas for a couple more weeks, just in case...and we aren't supposed to feed Jensen any bananas either in case Charlotte decides to grab some from him (I assured the nurse that going without bananas for a few weeks would not be a problem for either child). I'm just really surprised by their reactions. Now, their aversion to peas, I understand...but I always thought of bananas as a fairly inoffensive food. Apparently not!

2 comments:

  1. Ben did the exact same the first time I gave him bananas. He got splotchy and acted like he was itching his face. I thought- oh know! Banana allergy! I waited about a month and tried it again (this time a mixed one- apple/banana or something) and he loved it and had no adverse reaction. It's actually probably his fav fruit now- I've tried it just plain banana as well and he does fine. I have heard that sometimes the initial banana reaction is not good- but just wait a little while and try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the comments around the doctors office after they hang up the phone from talking to you. You know what I'm talking about..the same kinds of conversations that go on in the back room at the library.
    Another excellent write up tho..keep em coming

    ReplyDelete