Thursday, December 16, 2010

It Snot That Bad!

Of all the things to fear about motherhood, I think there was one I feared the most:

The snotty nose. And me having to remove the snot from said nose. For some reason, I think snotty-nosed babies are pretty much the grossest thing ever. Grosser than poopy babies. Grosser than spit-up babies. Grosser than babies with mushed-up 'Nilla Wafers all over their faces (you may not find this gross, but I do. It brings back babysitting memories. Bad ones.). I got one of the little snot-suckers pictured above at my baby shower, and not only was I horrified at the thought of having to use it one day, I had a bit of trouble with the thank-you card as well (Dear So-and-So, Thank you for bringing one of my worst fears one step closer to reality. Sincerely, Marcy). 

So we find ourselves in cold season. And we find Mr. Jensen with a snotty nose (which I really think is just allergies). And we find ourselves equipped with quite the arsenal of weaponry:



Three different kinds of snot-suckers! The stuff my nightmares are made of. There's the one from the hospital (can you guess why the letter "B" is written on it? Because Jensen was referred to as "Twin B" in the hospital, and each twin came with monogrammed snot-sucker!). There's the one that came with some baby saline nose spray. And there's the Nosefrida, which is supposed to be awesome, but (much like my sworn enemy the Moby Wrap) seems to be beyond my level of parenting skill.

I've been sucking snot for about a week now, and guess what? My babies' snot isn't gross! Not even a little bit! I was starting to think I had magic babies or something, but then I remembered a conversation I had with my mom before Charlotte and Jensen were born. I told her she was going to have to come over and be the baby snot-sucker when needed, because there was no way I was doing it. And she said something along the lines of, "When it's your baby, it isn't gross." And, once again, it appears as though she was right. I've become one of those sappy moms who thinks her babies are perfection, snotty noses and all.

Because, really, how could anything that comes out of this little face be gross??

4 comments:

  1. Ha! We are doing the EXACT same thing at our house this week- sucking snot!! Love it! Actually Ben just woke up a little of while ago and had to be re-suctioned. It doesn't gross me out though! Does Jensen get SUPER mad when you do it? Ben hates it more than anything and it makes me feel so bad...but I don't stop until it's all out! Love the pic of J- so stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are also in snot sucking mode. It is almost an addiction for me. I can't stop until I get it all out despite the tears that follow :) The other day Jake fell and busted his nose so it was bloody snot suckng for us. Fun times!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marcy...I'm home sick today, can you come and suck my snot out? huh..can you?
    I remember when I first started babysitting my grandkids....their mother brought this thing to my house and I was semi horrfied. Had never even seen nor heard of one of them (didn't have them in the olden days). I learned to use it..but I'm still not crazy about it. Guess thats the difference between your own baby and your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, he is so precious! You are exactly right: nothing coming from that adorable face could ever be gross! :)

    ReplyDelete