Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blah, Ugh, Bleh, and Argh!

And basically any other way you can think of to say, "This sucks!"

So Charlotte caught Hand, Foot & Mouth disease from somewhere (cough, Little Gym, cough). Then, Jensen caught it from Charlotte. Charlotte got better in a few days...Jensen didn't. He has been a grump for two weeks now...it's the opposite of his usual personality and it was beginning to really worry me that he didn't seem to be getting better. So I took him to the doctor yesterday afternoon to make sure he didn't have an ear infection or something. The doctor checked his ears...looked good. She checked his throat...looked okay. She said he might just be teething, or having a growth spurt, or something. Then she said we could go ahead and swab for strep since we were there, just to make sure.

You guessed it, the test was positive. Two huge shots of penicillin later, my very upset little dude and I were on our way home. The good news is that he already seems to be feeling better. The bad news is that I can't imagine Charlotte won't get it. Brian and I are beginning to suspect that one of us is actually a carrier of strep (cough, Brian, cough), since it's so odd that this will be the babies' second bout of it (the first was when they were a month old and never left the house).

I know how blessed we are to have two children who don't have any serious health issues. Believe me, I know, and it's not something that I take for granted.  But right now I am feeling just the teeniest bit sorry for myself (and C&J). It's been two straight weeks of sickness around here, and good gracious is it getting old! We missed a lake trip over Memorial Day weekend (although perhaps that's for the best, as I have also missed several workouts!). Pretty much the highlight of my Memorial Day was a trip to the grocery store where I stared longingly at people filling up their carts with burgers, hot dogs and beer...the makings of holiday weekend fun (not that my cart full of organic fruits and veggies wasn't super-exciting!).

Also, I'm pretty confused as to why they keep getting sick. I feel like I really try my best to keep them healthy...we don't go to many places that I feel like are really "germy" and, let's face it, I am a bit nutty about feeding them healthy foods (I mean, these kids eat spinach literally every day!). I guess double the amount of babies = double the chances of getting sick? I can only imagine what it's going to be like when they start preschool next year. But for now, we'll just concentrate on keeping little Charlie healthy and getting little Mr. Man feeling better!

3 comments:

  1. Just wait for preschool! There is always some little bug going around with kids and I am right there with you- it's so annoying! I guess as their immune systems build up it will get better, but I think it's pretty common with kiddos. Sorry Jensen has strep- knock on wood- but neither of my kids have ever had it (even Addyson- wow!). I think some kids are just more prone to it- my sister used to get strep every year and I have only had it like once or something ever. I don't know if that is correct that some people are more prone to it, but it seems that way to me! Hope they get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Jensen. I am so sorry he is not feeling well. You are such a good mom! It is always a hard decision to make.....should I take them to the docotr OR not? Is it fussiness or sickness? Use this sick time to spoil him with cuddles and kisses. You might be suprised when preschool starts, they may not catch anything but a virus or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds rough!! Hang in there. And by the way I was cracking up about your Charlotte comment. I'm not saying, but I'm saying :) Either way it's an ADORABLE name!! I have always loved it, and I am about 99.999% sure your Charlotte won't end up like mine. Ha!

    ReplyDelete