Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Happy Birthday, Charlotte Anne

Dear Charlotte,

"She is small, but so strong." That is how I described you when you were less than one week old. And now, one year later, I can't believe how true that statement remains. You've been strong since you were born...you were such a tiny little thing, but you immediately let us know that you were here and you were not happy about it. And your dad and I were amazed at how tightly your teeny, tiny hand could grasp our fingers. But let's go back even further than your birthday to the day your dad and I found out that one of our babies was going to be a girl. Most dads, even the ones who won't admit it, hope that their first child will be a boy. Not your dad. The minute we found out that you were a girl, he was beaming with joy. I wish I had a picture of the look of happiness on his face. And, throughout your first year of life, you have made him (and me) beam with pride and happiness countless times...just by being you.

I know that you have your whole life ahead of you, and we still have so much to discover about who you will become...but there are a few things we have already figured out about our Peanut. First, you are so smart...and you love to learn. I hope you will always keep your love of learning new things. Second, you are determined...and a bit stubborn. I was about to say that I know you are going to challenge me sometimes as you grow up...then I realized that you already do challenge me. But that's okay...you're a strong little girl who knows exactly what she wants. Third, you are clever and funny. You love to dance, talk, and have all eyes on you. You are dramatic, and expressive, and animated. I very rarely wonder what it is you want; you always find a way to communicate with me.

This year has not always been easy for you. You were sick with two bladder infections and had to have some very uncomfortable procedures and tests. It was terrible for your dad and me to see you in pain, but you once again amazed us with your strength. I think that time changed us in a few ways: It made us realize, once again, just how much we love you. It also made us so thankful for the fact that you are usually such a healthy little girl.

Charlotte, you are a girl who knows what she wants, what she doesn't want, what she likes, and what she doesn't like. I have no doubt that you will grow to be a strong woman, and I hope that you will always remain true to yourself and to your convictions. It's impossible to put into words how much your dad and I love you, but I'll try: Charlie, you are a miracle and an answered prayer. You are a dream come true. God knew exactly what He was doing when He made you for your dad and me...which makes you the perfect addition to our family and so very special. It is truly amazing to think about how special you are to so many people...you are a very blessed little girl to have so many people who love you so much. I guess if there's one thing about which I hope you never, ever have any doubts, it's that you are loved. More than words could ever say.

Love,

Mom

Charlotte Anne's First Year








1 comment:

  1. I just read both of your "birthday greetings" to the kids...this will mean a lot to them someday. Very touching

    ReplyDelete